- Historically Tongans were strong, walked and boated everywhere, ate primarily off the land and lived long lives.
- With the influence of western civilization during WWII came exposure to a western diet, specifically canned meat, fried foods, and sodas.
- With the introduction of first bicycles then cars, Tongans began to lead a more sedentary life.
- The deadly combination of increased caloric intake, decreased exercise and limited access to healthcare has made the Tongan population the highest in diabetes per capita in the world.
- Now the Tongan people believe that part of their future is to suffer from the effects of diabetes such as amputation, kidney failure, blindness, and premature death.
- ‘Amanaki Fo’ou’s message to the Tongan people is that there is hope. They have the strength to return to the traditions of their ancestors and live a long, healthy life.